LASIK Eligibility – King LASIK
LASIK surgery offers many patients the opportunity to dramatically reduce or even eliminate their need for glasses or contact lenses by correcting refractive areas directly on the eye. Some patients, however, are not good candidates for laser eye surgery. The laser vision correction experts at King LASIK have the experience to determine who is a eligible for this procedure. Contact us for a no-obligation evaluation at our Edmonton centre.
LASIK can be used to correct refractive errors within the following diopter ranges:
- Myopia: 0.75 to -12.00
- Hyperopia: +0.75 to +4.50
- Astigmatism: +/- 0.75 to +/- 6.00
- If your refractive error correction needs are not within these ranges, the doctors at King LASIK will provide a further consultation to inform you of your vision correction options.
Pupil diameter is another crucial factor in determining LASIK eligibility. Most laser vision correction professionals agree that optimal results can be obtained for patients with a maximum pupil diameter of 6.5 mm, but the surgeons at King LASIK can usually apply the latest technology to achieve good results with pupils up to 8.5 mm in diameter.
Some patients have a corneal surface too thin for cutting a flap in order to access the layers beneath, where the actual reshaping of the cornea takes place. In these cases, our doctors may recommend photorefractive keratectomy (PRK), a laser vision correction procedure that actually predates LASIK. In PRK, the outer layer of the cornea is removed so the surgeon can access the layers beneath. Since the outer layer must grow back after surgery, the healing time is longer than with LASIK and there is more discomfort.
During your consultation at our laser eye surgery centre, we will also consider other factors that may temporarily or permanently disqualify you from undergoing laser eye surgery. These may include:
- Severe heart problems, especially those requiring the use of a pacemaker
- Diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, vascular disease, severe glaucoma, cataracts, ocular herpes simplex, or severe diabetes
- Use of prescription drugs, including Accutane for acne, Imitrex® for migraines, and various immune system medications
Contact King LASIK today to learn if you are a good candidate for LASIK.